Manchester City 3-0 Burnley - BBC Sport

Aguero celebrates
Aguero's 177th Manchester City goal came from the spot

Sergio Aguero equalled Manchester City's all-time goalscoring record as his side beat Burnley to go five points clear at the top of the Premier League.

Aguero's first-half goal, from a controversial penalty, was his 177th for the club and brought him level with Eric Brook's record, as well as sending City on their way to an 11th straight win, equalling a club record.

But they had to work hard to see off a resolute Clarets side, who were unhappy with the decision that led to them going behind.

A pack of Burnley players protested when Roger East pointed to the spot after visiting keeper Nick Pope tangled with Bernardo Silva, but replays showed Pope's knee came down on Silva's foot as he slid in.

Aguero stepped up to calmly slot home, but Burnley, who arrived at the Etihad on the back of a six-game unbeaten run, did not lie down and their determined approach limited further City chances.

Sean Dyche's side had few sights of goal themselves, but it took two goals in the space of two second-half minutes from Nicolas Otamendi and Leroy Sane for the home side to make sure of the points.

Otamendi rose highest from Sane's corner to power a header into the corner, despite the presence of Steven Defour on the post.

Sane galloped on to a precise through ball from Kevin de Bruyne to score City's third goal, their 20th in their past four home Premier League games.

City, two points clear before the game, extended their lead over second-placed Manchester United, who lost 2-1 at Huddersfield Town.

Aguero back, and back in the goals

Pep Guardiola believed Manchester City's penalty was the correct decision by referee Roger East

It is only 23 days since Aguero injured his ribs in a car crash in an Amsterdam taxi, but he made a very happy return to action to make his 262nd appearance for City.

The 29-year-old Argentina striker, who joined the club for £38m in 2011, was an unused substitute in City's previous two games but was recalled by Pep Guardiola and took his chance.

Aguero missed from the spot when he had the chance to equal Brook's record in his last game, against Shakhtar Donetsk at the end of September, but he made no mistake this time.

He went close to breaking Brook's record too, going close with a fierce shot across goal following a run to the edge of the area, and bringing a fine save from Pope.

That landmark will have to wait, but this was still his day and he left the pitch to a standing ovation and a warm embrace from his manager after 76 minutes, to be replaced by Gabriel Jesus.

What next?

Manchester City host Wolves in the fourth round of the Carabao Cup on Tuesday (20:00 BST), then travel to play West Brom next Saturday (15:00).

Burnley are next in action on Monday, 30 October, when they are at home to Newcastle (20:00).

More to follow....

Read more

Aberdeenshire man 'kidnapped' in Vietnam

Connor LeslieImage copyright Leslie family Image caption Connor Leslie was last seen in a taxi which drove off after the group had an alternation with the driver

The family of a 23-year-old British man who has gone missing in Vietnam say they fear he has been kidnapped.

Connor Leslie, from Newtonhill in Aberdeenshire, was last seen at about 02:30 local time (21:30 BST on Friday) in Hanoi.

He was in the city with a group of friends who got out of a taxi which sped off before Mr Leslie could step out of the car.

Mr Leslie's friends and family said he had been "taken against his will".

Local police have been informed of Mr Leslie's disappearance.He was last seen at Tay Ho 395 on Lac Long Quan.

Members of Mr Leslie's family have shared information about his disappearance[1] on Facebook.

Image copyright Leslie family/Google Image caption Connor Leslie was last seen at Tay Ho 395 in northern Hanoi

His cousin Scott Leslie said the whole family was "absolutely terrified".

"He was in a taxi and his friends were getting out.Connor was the last to get out and the taxi driver just sped off before Connor could get out of the car," he told BBC Scotland.

"They had an altercation with the taxi driver.I believe they had already given a large sum of money to him and then he asked for more."

Mr Leslie, who works in the oil and gas industry, was with a group of friends who were just starting their holiday in Vietnam before going on to Australia.

Friends and family have been trying to contact him on his mobile, but his cousin said on Saturday afternoon that his messaging app had not been online for about 17 hours.

A Foreign and Commonwealth Office spokeswoman today:"We are assisting the family of a British man who has been reported missing in Vietnam, and our staff are in contact with the Vietnamese police."...

References

  1. ^ shared information about his disappearance (www.facebook.com)

Read more

Trump says he will allow scheduled release of JFK files

American president John F. Kennedy (1917 - 1963) is struck by an assassin's bullet as he travels through Dallas in a motorcade, 22nd November 1963.Image copyright Getty Images Image caption John F Kennedy slumps towards his wife Jacqueline after being hit by a bullet

Donald Trump has said he plans to allow the opening of a trove of long-classified files on the assassination of former president John F Kennedy.

The president tweeted to say he would allow the release "subject to receipt of further information".

The files are scheduled to be opened by the US National Archives on 26 October, but the president is entitled to extend their classified status.

Kennedy was shot dead by a sniper in November 1963 in Dallas, Texas.

The National Archives has already released most documents related to the assassination, but a final batch remains under lock and key.

"Subject to the receipt of further information, I will be allowing, as President, the long blocked and classified JFK FILES to be opened," Trump said in a tweet[1].

Congress ruled in 1992 that all JFK documents be released within 25 years, unless the president decides the release would harm national security.

The archive contains more than 3,000 previously unreleased documents, and more than 30,000 that have been released before but with redactions.

image

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionJFK at 100:'His life was not as glamorous as you think'

It is unclear whether Mr Trump intends to allow the release in full, or with redactions.

Kennedy assassination experts do not think the last batch of papers contains any major bombshells, according to a Washington Post report.

But the files may shed more light on Lee Harvey Oswald's activities in Mexico City in late September 1963, shortly before the assassination.

Oswald was arrested in Dallas on the day of the shooting and charged with the president's murder.He denied the charges, claiming he was a "just a patsy".

He was famously gunned down by nightclub owner Jack Ruby while in police custody two days later, and the plot to kill Kennedy became the most powerful conspiracy theory in American history.

"The American public deserves to know the facts, or at least they deserve to know what the government has kept hidden from them for all these years," Larry Sabato, director of the University of Virginia Center for Politics and author of a book about Kennedy, told the Associated Press.

"It's long past the time to be forthcoming with this information," he said....

References

  1. ^ tweet (twitter.com)

Read more

British Champions Day: Trainer Aidan O'Brien equals Group One wins record

Hydrangea
Hydrangea, the 4-1 shot, beat favourite Bateel by two lengths

Irish trainer Aidan O'Brien equalled the record for top-level wins in a Flat racing year as Hydrangea won the Fillies and Mares Stake on British Champions Day at Ascot.

O'Brien drew level with American Bobby Frankel on 25 wins as jockey Ryan Moore saw off 7-4 favourite Bateel.

O'Brien had two chances to surpass the record, but was twice denied.

Cracksman, ridden by Frankie Dettori and trained by John Gosden, took victory in the Champions Stakes.

The three-year-old, a winner at York and Chantilly, provided jockey Dettori with his first Champions Stakes victory and his second winner of the day.

The 46-year-old Italian was aboard Persuasive as she ran out an impressive winner in the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes.

O'Brien on 'special day'

Frankel's record, set in 2003, has stood for 14 years, with O'Brien twice getting close, when he trained 23 winners in 2001 and 2008.

The 48-year-old had a chance earlier on Saturday to equal the record, but his runner Johannes Vermeer finished a close third behind Boom Time in Australia's Group One Caulfield Cup.

O'Brien then won the first race of the day at Ascot, the Group Two Long Distance Cup, as Order Of St George pulled off an unlikely victory.

But it was the Group One win he needed to draw level and, with his runner Caravaggio having been beaten by surprise package Librisa Breeze in the Champions Sprint Stakes, his next chance fell to filly Hydrangea - the offspring of Galileo - in the Fillies and Mares Stake.

Moore made a bid for home early, and despite Bateel cruising up alongside her, Hydrangea would not be passed.

The 4-1 shot began to pull away before taking victory by two lengths, with Coronet back in third.

"Its a magic, special day," O'Brien told ITV."As you know I am a small link in a big chain and I'm delighted for everybody.They all put in so much hard work, day in day out."

He added of the winner:"It was Ryan's idea to run her as he thought there was a chance she'd get the trip.We weren't sure, but she did it."

De Sousa crowned champion jockey

Brazilian factory worker to Champion Flat Jockey

Silvestre de Sousa was officially crowned Champion Flat Jockey for the second time in three years.

The 36-year-old Brazilian finished with over 150 winners, well clear of closest pursuer Jim Crowley, having sewn up the title up many weeks ago.

"It's great to be here after a long season.I've worked really hard this year and I always wanted to win the title again and I finally did," he said.

"I think this title was more enjoyable.When I started the season I had in my mind I wanted to win it, but you can never be sure.

"This year was one of my great years."...

Read more

Catalonia independence: Spain pushes to remove leaders

RajoyImage copyright EPA Image caption Mr Rajoy said the government would apply Spain's Article 155

The Spanish prime minister has outlined plans to remove Catalonia's leaders and take control of the separatist region.

Speaking after an emergency cabinet meeting on Saturday, Mariano Rajoy stopped short of dissolving the region's parliament but put forward plans for elections in the region.

The measures must now be approved by Spain's Senate in the next few days.

The plans come almost three weeks after Catalonia held a disputed independence referendum.

Spain's supreme court had declared the vote illegal and said it violated the constitution, which describes the country as indivisible.

Catalan leader Carles Puigdemont has ignored pleas from the national government to abandon moves towards independence.

Mr Rajoy said the government had no choice but to push to impose direct rule, arguing that the Catalan government's actions were "contrary to the law and seeking confrontation".

This will be via Article 155 of Spain's constitution, which allows it to impose direct rule in a crisis on any of the country's semi-autonomous regions.

Spain's Senate will vote within the week, Mr Rajoy said at a press conference.He said it was "not our wish, it was not our intention" to trigger the article.

Spanish law dictates that elections must be held within six months of Article 155 being triggered, but Mr Rajoy said it was imperative that the vote be held much sooner.

How have Catalans reacted?

Barcelona Mayor Ada Colau, who supports independence, said[1] it was a "serious attack on the rights and freedoms of all, both here and elsewhere" and called for protests.

The president of Barcelona football club, Josep Maria Bartomeu, said[2] the club gave its "absolute support for the democratic institutions of Catalonia chosen by its people".

Image copyright AFP Image caption Catalonia's independence referendum has thrown the country into crisis

But he called for any reaction to be "civil and peaceful" and said dialogue was the only way to a solution.

Eduard Rivas Mateo, spokesman for the Catalan Socialist party - which supports the Spanish government's stance but also wants constitutional reform - said[3] he could not accept a "harsh application" of Article 155.

Meanwhile the Catalan parliament - which is run by pro-independence parties - tweeted[4]:"The time has come.Goodbye 155, hello Catalan Republic."

Catalan leader Mr Puigdemont is due to speak at 21:00 local time (19:00 GMT).

How did we get here?

Catalonia's regional government held a referendum on 1 October to ask residents of the region if they wanted to break away from Spain.

Of the 43% of Catalans said to have taken part, 90% voted in favour of independence.But many anti-independence supporters boycotted the ballot, arguing it was not valid.

Mr Puigdemont and other regional leaders then signed a declaration of independence, but immediately suspended it in order to allow for talks.

He then defied two deadlines set by the national government to clarify Catalonia's position, and the government announced it would pursue Article 155.

What is Article 155?

Article 155 of the Spanish constitution allows the national government to impose direct rule over Spain's semi-autonomous regions in the event of a crisis.It has never before been invoked in democratic Spain.

It says that if a region's government "acts in a way that seriously threatens the general interest of Spain", Madrid can "take necessary measures to oblige it forcibly to comply".

image

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionWhy is there a Catalan crisis?The answer is in its past

Catalonia currently enjoys significant autonomy from Spain, including control over its own policing, education and healthcare.

Mr Rajoy's conservative Popular Party (PP) holds a majority in the Senate, meaning the proposals are likely to pass.

What are the economic arguments?

Catalonia accounts for about a fifth of Spain's economic output, and supporters of independence say the region contributes too much to the national economy.

Opponents argue that Catalonia is stronger as a part of Spain, and that breaking away would lead to economic disaster for the country as a whole.

Nearly 1,200 companies based in Catalonia have re-registered in other parts of Spain since the referendum, hoping to minimise instability, according to the AFP news agency.

And Spain this week cut its national growth forecast for 2018 from 2.6% to 2.3%, blaming uncertainty over the future of Catalan independence.

Could Spain's steps backfire?

James Badcock, BBC News, Madrid

There are plenty of reasons to doubt that such a strategy would provide a clear solution to the crisis.

The far-left CUP party has suggested that it would boycott any election imposed on the region.Other pro-independence forces might do the same.Massive street protests against any form of direct rule from Madrid can also be expected.

Mr Puigdemont has promised to call a formal vote on independence in Catalonia's parliament if Article 155 is invoked.If such a declaration were approved, the pro-independence forces could style the ballot as the election of a constituent assembly for a new republic, the next stage laid down in the pro-independence road map.

Assuming the participation of all parties, voters would be bound to interpret the election as a de facto vote on independence.If a separatist majority emerged once again, it is hard to see how the conflict could be considered closed.

Are you in Catalonia?Share your views and experiences by emailing This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..[5]

Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist.You can also contact us in the following ways:...

  • WhatsApp:+447555 173285
  • Tweet:@BBC_HaveYourSay[6]
  • Send pictures/video to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.[7]
  • Upload your pictures / video here[8]
  • Send an SMS or MMS to 61124 or +44 7624 800 100

References

  1. ^ said (twitter.com)
  2. ^ said (twitter.com)
  3. ^ said (twitter.com)
  4. ^ tweeted (twitter.com)
  5. ^ This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. (www.bbc.co.uk)
  6. ^ @BBC_HaveYourSay (twitter.com)
  7. ^ This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. (www.bbc.co.uk)
  8. ^ Upload your pictures / video here (bbcnewsupload.streamuk.com)

Read more

NewsLine is a full functional magazine news for Entertainment, Sports, Food website. Here you can get the latest news from the whole world quickly.

Popular Item

Recent News