Dow Jones: 'Google acquires Apple' news was 'error'

US stock exchange tradersImage copyright Getty Images Image caption The fake news appeared on the Dow Jones financial newswire for two minutes

A bombshell appeared on the Dow Jones financial newswire on Tuesday:"Google to buy Apple for $9bn".

But the story, that the acquisition had been suggested in the will of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, was bogus.

It was removed after two minutes, though Apple's shares did briefly rise in value.

Dow Jones said the news appeared as the result of a "technical error" and should be ignored.

The unintentionally published fake news described the acquisition as "a surprise move to everyone who is alive" and quoted Google employees as saying "Yay".

It also stated that Google would move into "Apple's fancy headquarters".

A statement from the firm, which is owned by News Corp, said the headlines were published between 09:34 and 09:36 New York time following a technical error.

"All of those headlines are being removed from the wires.

"We apologise for the error."

The incident occurred during a technology test, according to a statement from Dow Jones chief executive William Lewis....

Read more

Unsent text accepted as dead man's will by Australian court

A mobile phone next to a documentImage copyright Getty Images

A court in Australia has accepted an unsent, draft text message on a dead man's mobile phone as an official will.

The 55-year-old man had composed a text message addressed to his brother, in which he gave "all that I have" to his brother and nephew.

The message was found in the drafts folder on the man's phone after he took his own life last year .

Brisbane Supreme Court ruled that the wording of the text indicated that the man intended it to act as his will.

In the message, the man gave details of how to access his bank account and where he had hidden money in his house.

"Put my ashes in the back garden," he wrote."A bit of cash behind TV and a bit in the bank."

According to ABC News[1], the man's wife applied to manage his assets and argued that the text message was not valid as a will because it was never sent.

Typically, for a will to be valid in Queensland, it must be written and signed by two witnesses.

Justice Susan Brown said the wording of the text message, which ended with the words "my will", showed that the man intended it to act as his will.

"The reference to his house and superannuation and his specification that the applicant was to take her own things indicates he was aware of the nature and extent of his estate, which was relatively small," she said.

She said the "informal nature" of the message did not stop it representing the man's intentions, especially as it was "created on or about the time that the deceased was contemplating death, such that he even indicated where he wanted his ashes to be placed".

In 2006, the law in Queensland was changed to allow less formal types of documents to be considered as a will.

Another unusual will accepted in Queensland includes a DVD marked with "my will", in 2013....

References

  1. ^ ABC News (www.abc.net.au)

Read more

Israeli spies 'watched Russian agents breach Kaspersky software'

Eugene KasperskyImage copyright Getty Images Image caption Eugene Kaspersky founded Kaspersky Lab in 1997

Israeli spies looked on as Russian hackers breached Kaspersky cyber-security software two years ago, US media report.

The Russians were allegedly attempting to gather data on US intelligence programs, according to the New York Times and Washington Post.

Israeli agents made the discovery after breaching the software themselves.

Kaspersky has said it was neither involved in nor aware of the situation and denies collusion with authorities.

Last month, the US government decided to stop using the Russian firm's software[1] on its computers.

The Israelis are said to have notified the US, which led to the ban on Kaspersky programs.

The New York Times said[2] that the situation had been described by "multiple people who have been briefed on the matter".

Integrity 'fundamental'

Classified documents are reported to have been stolen from the home computer of a US National Security Agency (NSA) employee who installed Kaspersky's antivirus software.

The NSA, the White House and the Israeli embassy in Washington have not commented on the matter.

The New York Times said that the Russian embassy had not responded to a request for comment.

Kaspersky has published a statement[3] saying that it was not involved in and does not have knowledge of the situation.

"As the integrity of our products is fundamental to our business, Kaspersky Lab patches any vulnerabilities it identifies or that are reported to the company," the statement said.

"Kaspersky Lab reiterates its willingness to work alongside US authorities to address any concerns they may have about its products as well as its systems, and respectfully requests any relevant, verifiable information that would enable the company to begin an investigation at the earliest opportunity."

The firm added that it has never helped, nor would help, governments in matters of cyber-espionage....

References

  1. ^ decided to stop using the Russian firm's software (www.bbc.co.uk)
  2. ^ The New York Times said (www.nytimes.com)
  3. ^ published a statement (twitter.com)

Read more

EE apologises for voice call fault

woman on phone from backImage copyright Getty Images

Mobile phone provider EE has confirmed that some customers are experiencing problems making voice calls.

The firm tweeted that the issue should be fixed by 6pm BST.Data and messaging services are working normally.

The fault appears to largely affect calls to non-EE phone numbers.

Nearly 3,000 people have left comments on the website Down Detector from around the UK, saying they have been unable to make or receive calls, on some occasions for several hours.

"Some of our customers are reporting problems when trying to make calls to some numbers this morning," the firm said in a statement.

"All data and messaging services are working as normal.We're working to fix this as quickly as possible and apologise for any inconvenience caused."

EE also said on Twitter that emergency services numbers were still accessible.

Customers have taken to social networks and forums to complain.

"Can only call other mobiles in Nottingham, even local numbers aren't working, sort this out EE, ironically I received a text from EE promoting BT Sports app during this downtime!" wrote Pat on Down Detector[1].

At the end of September the firm apologised again after a fault affected customers using its UK home broadband service[2]....

References

  1. ^ Down Detector (downdetector.co.uk)
  2. ^ a fault affected customers using its UK home broadband service (www.bbc.co.uk)

Read more

Mum identifies child in sex abuse video

Pixelated image of abused four-year-oldImage copyright German Federal Criminal Police Image caption Images of the little girl have been pixelated since the arrest of the man accused of abusing her

A mother has recognised her own four-year-old daughter after German police released a still image of a child in an attempt to find her abuser.

The picture was taken from videos and images circulating on the dark web.

A 24-year-old man has now been arrested.

The police said that they took the unusual step of releasing the image because they had been unable to identify the attacker.

They received "numerous" responses from the public, following the release of the image.

The man - from Wesermarsch - faces charges of the serious sexual abuse of children plus the production and distribution of images of child abuse.

The case involved teams from the Federal Criminal Police Office, the Central Office for Combating Internet Crime and Frankfurt's prosecutors' office.

They thanked the public for their help.

The videos and images were discovered in July but it is believed that the abuse had been going on since October last year.

The abuser was known to the child, according to the police.

Jim Gamble, former chief executive of the UK's Child Exploitation and Online Protection unit, said releasing such images should be the "last resort" for law enforcement.

"Other options would include public circulation of pictures of furniture associated with the location of the abuse and/or particular clothes worn by the child.An actual identifiable facial image is and should always be the last resort," he told the BBC.

"At the end of the day this is a real child, subject to ongoing abuse so if all the other areas have been exhausted, wider circulation is the right thing in my opinion."

But, he added, it was important to make criminals aware that the dark net is not a place to "hide" such images and videos.

"The dark net is not a no-go area to law enforcement and neither should it be," he said.

"At the end of the day we cannot allow the technology to dictate tactics or to prevent us from focusing on the real issue:people who threaten our children."...

Read more

NewsLine is a full functional magazine news for Entertainment, Sports, Food website. Here you can get the latest news from the whole world quickly.

Popular Item

Recent News